Recently I find I am dealing with many more 3 volt parts, and I often end up building a 3V3 supply on whatever shield I am making at the time. The basic board has plenty of proto space which I never use, so why not sacrifice some of that for a 3 volt regulator? The Arduino shield has a pin for 3 volts, so that wasn't a big deal.
Things have changed over the past few years. The price of Chinese boards has come down a little, but the price for U.S. made boards has exploded. It used to cost less than three times as much for a U.S. board over a Chinese board. Now it is more than ten times. Plus, I can get Chinese boards just as quickly as U.S. boards, so even paying a premium for fast shipping, they are still a lot cheaper.
One minor annoyance in the old board was that the contrast pot for the LCD couldn't be adjusted when a shield was in place. I tried drilling a hole in the shield, and even laid out a new shield PCB (but never ordered it). It occurred to me that I could fit a vertical pot under the LCD.
|New contrast pot location|
While I was at it, I decided I would change the bypass caps out for SMT caps. Don't know why, I have hundreds of 0.1 and 0.01 monolithics in the parts drawer, but it seemed like the thing to do. What I didn't do is change out the resistors, which I probably should have.
|dsPIC-EL-GM full board|
I'm pretty pleased with this board. Although there are a few things I would like to change, nothing is really pressing, so probably this will be the last change for a while.
As always, the PCB file, Gerbers, etc are all in gitlab. This version is in the Rev2 branch.